Monday, February 20, 2017

Riding with Kids

Riding with kids can be both amazingly rewarding and extremely frustrating, sometimes in the same ride. The bike industry does not promote the family biking experience.  I've seen some family photos in just a few pamphlets. Usually the image of mountain bikers is of a group of male friends on some amazing mountain ripping down hill.

Therefore information on riding with your kids and how to improve the experience is hard to come by. We have spent many days on the trail and have learned a few lessons that have helped us to improve the experience. I first started mountain biking on my own. I thought the experience was amazing and wanted to share it with my wife. My enthusiasm did not translate to a fun first ride. She hated it and refused to go again. I was too pushy and wanting to ride and it made her experience not fun.


So I started biking on my own with friends. My parents had also ridden on the mountain bike trails. I did a few rides with them. I then took the plunge and brought my oldest daughter along. She was eight years old at the time and we rented a bike for her. I took my daughter along as well as my mom. It was a good experience for everyone and my daughter enjoyed it enough to want to continue riding.


Our riding progressed throughout the summer. As my riding skills improved I continued to want to push faster and ride harder. This is where the challenge comes in. When I ride by myself or with my buddies our riding is much more aggressive. When it comes time to ride with my family I've learned to slow down and just enjoy the time. A big thing I've learned is to not ride behind anyone and yell advice. Everyone seems to hate this. They feel as though you are riding them and yelling. This just frustrates everyone more. I've learned to ride in front and show my kids how to ride. The kids will see how you ride and follow your lead. This seems to be less intimidating and more encouraging.

I started to take my 5 year old daughter on rides as well. She still rode a bike with training wheels by herself. I purchased a trail a bike and pulled her behind me. This was a great set up allowing her to still be a part of the experience. It does take more work but the rewards are worth it. She has progressed to her own bike and we bought her a fat bike this winter. We haven't ridden it in the summer but looking forward to riding this summer.



This brings about the next point equipment. Setting your kids and spouse up for success is huge. The first mountain bike we bought for my oldest daughter was ok. By the time we got rid of it she had bent the rims quite a few times and was out riding the bike. Definitely a great starter bike for the first few rides but quickly failed to stand up to the abuse. We bought her a fat bike and her confidence has increased. With increased confidence comes more aggressive riding at faster speeds. Which makes our riding together more fun. I am a big fan of Fat Bikes for riding our local trails here in MN. Everyone's local trails are different. The confidence given to new riders is immense. My daughters, wife, parents, and I all ride fat bikes.

With my children enjoying the activity of mountain biking I was able to get my wife to try as well. We rented her a fat bike and went out on the trails as a family. This ride was very different then our first ride together. Definitely a different feel. My wife enjoyed it enough that we bought her a bike and she has even started setting up rides with her friends. Watching her progress has been awesome. After riding with my daughters my expectations of biking have changed. I've learned to just enjoy the ride and time with family.

This fall I started riding with our baby. I have a front carrier that all my kids have used. It is great as my daughter rides in front in close proximity. I can see what she is doing, and she can see my hands and communicate with me. It is a system that works well for us.

Mountain biking is a great activity for all ages. Everyone in my family enjoys it. My 1 year old daughter to my 55 year old parents is riding together. It is an activity that all enjoy. It is great to be outside together.

I'll just list some tips that have improved my family riding.
Work on yourself. Get yourself to a place where you can be a good leader.
Change expectations. Riding with family isn't about speed or getting far. Just enjoy the slower pace to  
find new parts of the trail.
Good Equipment. You can cheap out on kids bikes but the experience for them isn't as good.                                        Investing in a good bike can help their confidence.
Snacks. Take breaks frequently and make the entire experience enjoyable.







1 comment:

  1. Hi very nice blog i have read your post it is very informative and useful thanks for posting and sharing with us and your writing style is very nice. and look it here also electric fat bike.

    ReplyDelete