Monday, February 20, 2017

Framed Wolftrax Review

I started my off road riding on a fat bike. It was a Framed MN 2.0. A fully rigid bike with a 2x9 drivetrain, and mechanical brakes. This was my first "real" mountain bike. Wow having a real bike from what I grew up riding was quite the leap in technology. But after riding for the year I soon realized the downfalls of this bike and started looking for an upgrade. My main priority was getting a bike that you could put a suspension fork on, and future upgradeability.

My first Fatty

My search led me to the Framed Wolftrax. My local bike shop stocks Framed bikes. The Wolftrax was the new model with wider  front and rear hubs. An upgraded 2x10 driver train, ability to run 5" tires, bluto compatibility, more trail oriented geometry and an awesome red color.
Wolftrax


 Initially to save on cost I bought the Framed Wolftrax with a rigid fork. The bike was purchased in the winter. I was able to ride the bike all winter without missing front suspension. I attempted to set my Wolftrax up tubeless with the stock wheels and tires using fattystripper. It was an unsuccessful attempt and I became frustrated with tubeless very quickly. One of the major downfalls of framed bike lines is their wheels and tires. The inability to set up tubeless seems to be a mark against any new bike. Definitely something to take into account. 

I upgraded the cockpit immediately after purchase. I put on a shorter stem and wider riser bars. This was the same set up I enjoyed on my first bike. I enjoy the quicker steering and more aggressive feel of the short stem and wide bars. I get more room to move around on the bike, and am in a more comfortable riding position for going downhill. 

Once spring rolled around it was time to get a bluto fork. One of the main reasons I upgraded to this bike. I was able to find a used Bluto for $350 on fat bike trader, Facebook group. Putting the Bluto on changes this bike. It makes it feel even more aggressive and having the suspension up front really helps for those long trail days. I understand why some people are against this fork. Having the noodle feeling in a fork isn't the greatest. Immediately after riding rigid the noodle of the fork was felt. After riding for a while the noodle effect goes away and I started to enjoy how the front fork just absorbs the hard hits. 
  
As I continued to ride I wanted to try hydraulic brakes. I have read mixed reviews of hydraulic brakes versus mechanical for extreme cold temperatures. I read several reviews before selecting the Shimano SLX. Definitely a worthy upgrade I feel. Really allowing you to use one finger braking. I ran my bike all through the winter. The bluto fork and hydraulic brakes held up fine in temperatures down to -20 degrees Fahrenheit. 

Air on Detroit Mountain
I also purchased a 29+ wheel set to run in the summer. With the bluto, upgraded cockpit, and 29+ wheel set this bike becomes and awesome hardtail. I have yet to meet a trail in MN that this combo does not thrive on. This bike is built for MN style trails. Lots of climbing with some great downhill sections. I took this bike to Detroit Mountain, for lift serviced down hill runs. I rented a Trek Remedy for the first half of the day then rode this after. I can say I enjoyed riding my hardtail 29+ bike over the Trek. It might have just been a comfort and set up issue. You always like something more when it is yours. But riding the bikes one after the other I was just not blown away by the full suspension trail bike like I thought I would be. 


So now to the downfalls of the Framed Wolftrax. As I stated before cockpit. For me the cockpit does not work well. I like a short stem and wide bars. This of course is personal preference and something everyone has to decide for themselves. That being said, my wife and mom both ride Wolftrax. My wife was having wrist problems switching the cockpit made it more comfortable for her. My mom had shoulder problems. Upgraded her cockpit and the problems went away. This may be due to us using these as mountain bikes or just all of our body proportions. But it has been an upgrade that we all did. The wheel set also isn't the greatest. When you ratchet the rear hub while climbing through rock gardens you can feel the engagement isn't as quick. This is compared to my 29+ with the pub hubs. Definitely a better, quicker engaging hub when ratcheting. Tubeless is huge in the current bike market. With more bikers using fat bikes all year round everyone wants to shave weight to ride faster. With the factory set of rims and tires tubeless just did not work for me. Maybe others know more but it prevented me form riding and anything that does that just isn't worth it. These are really the only complaints I have about the bike. Otherwise for the money it is a bike that has taken abuse and allowed me to ride anywhere I want. I would definitely continue to recommend this bike for purchase with people knowing probably have to upgrade cockpit and tubeless may not work. 
Theodore Wirth Bike Trails

1 comment:

  1. It is very useful for me to learn and understand easily. Nice Article..thanks for sharing keep on update Find electric fat bike.

    ReplyDelete