Thursday, March 30, 2017

GT Sensor Review

So for the last two years I have been a dedicated fat bike rider. I had even bought a second set of wheels for my fat bike to run it as a 29+ hardtail in the summer. I was trying to turn my fat bike into a trail shredding monster. With the 29+ wheels it was a very capable and great bike. I did notice faults of mine though. After a hard day of riding with the guys I would be beat up. My back would hurt and I would be sore. I started to look at a Full Suspension trail bike. I rode a friends bike and could immediately see where having the extra cushioning would help.

I was planning a multi day bike trip. Wanting to make the most of the trip and not wanting my body to hold me back I ordered a GT sensor  from my local bike shop. Dave at Touright was able to find last years model for a great price. I wanted something totally different then what I already rode. The sensor has 27.5 wheels and 130mm rear suspension 140mm front. The bike is built as a trail bike. I was unsure of the bike due to the unique suspension design. I ordered my bike with a dropper post figuring it would be useful on the adventure.





I can say I'm extremely happy and pleased with the sensor. I can't talk about things like head angle and  bottom bracket height. I have no idea how they relate to a bike and how much I will enjoy it. What I can say is it performed beyond my expectations. We beat on our bikes during our trip. Maybe not as much as others and maybe more than some. Everything kept right on working great. The suspension was a great relief. My body held up well. I can definitely say having all the extra squish makes multi day adventures much more doable. My back was never the problem with this bike. I had the usual soreness from the bike saddle after not riding for a while but that is to be expected. Not the bikes fault.

I put Race Face Chester pedals, a KS dropper post, Renthal Fat Bar, and ergon grips on the bike. Besides just a few touch point upgrades and a dropper this bike comes as is. It took me a few different tries to dial in the suspension to where it is just right. This bike pedals extremely well. I turned the lockout on and it felt just like a rigid bike. But after riding with all the squish I found I enjoyed having it and really lost very minimal energy while pedaling.

This is my first full suspension bike and I can say I'm very happy with it. I'm comparing it to my fat bike. I know that is an apple to oranges comparison. They are purpose built bikes for two very different things. What they do have is common is their owner. When I get on my fat bike it is a monster truck. It will run over any and everything. On this GT sensor the world looks different. Trails becoming different. Obstacles have a different approach. I can say I didn't notice less rollover or a lack of traction coming from the fat bike like I thought I would. I thought I would have a ton of pedal strikes and get frustrated with that like on other full suspension bikes I've ridden. Not sure if it was rider skill or bike but rarely did I get pedal strikes. I was able to climb most every terrain and ride over rocks and roots. I can say the bike performed better than I thought and held up well to my abuse. Nothing broke just a few things came loose and need to be tightened just like every bike on the first ride.

I would not hesitate to recommend this bike for anyone. I bought last years model for a great deal. I know it doesn't have all the high end components and it is still a 2x10 drivetrain but i'm wiling to sacrifice on some of those things to save money and afford to take a bike trip. I would definitely say to add a dropper onto whichever bike you buy. Wow those things are worth their money. Head on down to the Little Falls Bike Shop Touright, Dave the owner will hook you up with a great bike.




No comments:

Post a Comment