Tuesday, January 24, 2017

MN Weather

As we all know the weather in MN for this winter has been terrible. We got some snow it disappeared quickly. Then we got some freezing temps that made it too cold to safely ride for extended periods. Now that it is finally warm enough all the snow is melting. It is such a yo-yo and real makes it hard to  get out and just enjoy biking.

I have attempted to just make the best of it. When those temps get way cold, I make it a challenge to get outside and ride. I find enjoyment in being out in the cold. Being one of the few people out risking the temperatures rekindles my sense of adventure. I still try to be safe. I lay out a plan tell my wife how long I'll be gone and when to call me. If she can't get a hold of me  then call for help. The worst part is it is too cold for my kids and I to ride together.

Now it has warmed up and there is ice in my usual spots. It has forced me to find new trails and areas to ride. I find the adventure in finding these new trails and exploring them. For me my rides have been lasting about an hour. You can make almost anywhere a fun ride for an hour. It doesn't take much. I have found some new logging roads on state land and crossed some swamps I wouldn't be able to in the summer.

I know weather sucks but you just have to get out and enjoy the bike. It is one of the reasons I was drawn to fat bikes. The exploratory nature. They just open up new trails anywhere you want. I don't think you have to plan a multi day excursion on some crazy mountain path. Just explore a back road near where you live.

No comments:

Post a Comment